Wednesday, April 29, 2009

This past week . . .

When I originally started a blog I intended to post at least every other day so I would have pretty good record/journal. I never thought I would be too busy to do that. This last week I was.

I was too busy because of: Earth Day, Anniversary (10 years thank you very much), speaking in church (my message=write your personal history), family history center training, baby shower, meal preparation, dentist, cleaning, gym, church activities, a visit from a friend, Andrew (but it's been fun), and so on.

EARTH DAY
Lizzie REALLY wanted to go clean up a park. We didn't have time on the actual Earth Day because she had dance class and had to spend all her free time throwing a fit over the tights she had to wear to dance class. Typical. . . . Anyway, we went the next day during her playdate with Jordan. Liz LOVED it. Mostly we found candy wrappers and cigarette butts (Liz explained to Jordan that people chew up the cigarettes and spit them out). She is pictured below with her bag full of garbage and a piece of cardboard too big for her bag.Two days later Liz found a discarded beer bottle on our way to a baby shower. I told her to leave it, but she said, "We can't Mommy. It's garbage we have to find a garbage can." So we showed up the shower with an empty beer bottle.
ANNIVERSARY
10 years! I can't believe it's been so long. On our actual anniversary the whole family went out to dinner to celebrate. And Drew and I enjoyed reminiscing about highs and lows of our decade together. The next night we went to dinner just the two of us.
I tried to recreate the top tier of our wedding cake. It didn't go so well. I made a rectangle cake, cut out two circles to stack on each other (Andrew later pointed out that we have round cake pans--I forgot), and did the "crumb layer." It was the chocolate curls that really tripped me up. I thought I could manage with a chocolate bar and a carrot peeler. No dice. I figure I'll try it annually till I get it right.

Shameful Sidenote: I'm attempting this recreation because I ate our entire cake topper six months after we got married and Drew was super pissed. He wanted to wait till our one year anniversary. I did too, but I worried that it had freezer burn so I opened it to check it. It tasted wonderful! And over the course of a week I ate it, despite Andrew's frequent requests that I put it back.
ANDREW
This past week I have enjoyed two childless meals with Drew and two with just Alaina in tow. One of them was a ward activity. It was an adult-only potluck dinner in which each table was a different theme. People volunteered to host the tables. They decorated and made food assignments. We were on the Mexican & Brazilian table (3 times bigger than the other tables). So fun. It was one of my favorite ward activities and we learned to make Tres Leches cake (well, Drew did).

On Monday Andrew got a new cast. Here he is waiting to have his old one removed:
Below is Drew's old blue cast. Drew surprised me by getting a purple one (for Liz) on Monday. He also got permission to put weight on it and try to drive (hurray). I think we are both happy that he has more flexibility now.

His right leg has already atrophied. So sad.
ALAINA
She's big enough to sit in shopping carts and restaurant high chairs now. She's growing so fast!!

LIZZIE

Liz is trucking along. A couple days ago she explained to us that her teacher moved her to a different table. Why? "Because I talk too much, but I still talk," she explained. Apparently this is also why she barely eats any of her lunch. She said, "I don't have time to eat my food because I talk too much and I play."

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Exciting week as usual! Happy anniversary. Too bad we couldn't do dinner the other night...let's try again.

rachael said...

I love the "beer bottle story". That is too funny!

How big is Lainey now? I got her the cutest little purple dress for summer (simple) and I bought it in a 9 month...do you think it'll work okay? At some point in the summer? I've also got some Japanese salad dressing coming your way that I can't live without..so yummy.

Next time your ward has something fun like the theme dinner tables you should let me know and I could send you some Japanese foods.

Miss you!!!

Contributors