Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Holding the Baby

The other day while I was checking out and Alaina was screaming, the cashier said, "Looks like she's done shopping."

I said, "More like she's done not being held." (Poorly worded, I know.)

The cashier said knowingly, "Oh, mommy holds you too much."

I was like really? It seriously bothers me when people say things like this. How can you possibly hold an infant too much?

Sometimes it feels like I hold Alaina every second I can. Much like when Lizzie was a baby, I keep reminding myself that years from now I will not think, I shouldn't have held her so much. If anything I'll wish I held her more.

Also, with Lainey I feel even more compelled to hold her because I was barely able to hold her brother.

5 comments:

Dave and Emily said...

I'm with you on this one. I hate it when people tell me I spoil Smith. I know it's possible to spoil a toddler, but a 3 month old? Really?

Ward Family said...

Jill, I just read an article about this because I wondered if Ezra was beig spoiled or really needed something each time he cried. The article said that infants only cry because they need to eat, be changed, are uncomfortable, ae bored, or need attention. They said babies can't really begin to understand the concept of how to use cryig to manipulate you until they are 6 or 8 months. So there...you can't spoil her, and besides they are only little for such a short time. You can unspoil her later!

Codi said...

I held Willa ALL THE TIME. I knew I would blink and she would be a little girl like Iris. I am STILL holding Willa all the time, but I'd never say it wasn't completely worth it.

Ryann said...

I felt that I did not get to hold Tim as much as I wanted simply because I couldn't with the two others and no Terry. But now he has discovered that he can get out of his bed and I've been having trouble. But if I hold him for five minutes, he is out like a light. So I am capturing lost time now with Tim. I say hold Lainy as long as you can!

Wendi said...

Hold her JIll, hold her as much as you want. She is your baby and no stinking cashier knows her better than you!!!! Besides, what is wrong with wanting your mommy when she has one as good as you?

Contributors