Friday, November 7, 2008

This week . . .

It seems I almost never have time to journal anymore. I'm usually only on the computer when I am feeding or holding Alaina which means I usually only have one hand available--not conducive to typing. Anyway, this week has been pretty good.

The most exciting thing was VOTING! It took us an hour and 45 minutes to vote which is twice as long as the last presidential election. I guess all that "most important election of our lifetime" rhetoric was effective (I mean, come on, they are ALL important). Still I thought this one was cool because it was SO historic. Whoever won, it was history in the making and I liked being part of it.

We brought the girls with us to vote. Drew took both of them with him to his electronic booth and let Liz push the buttons. When she finished she skipped over to me and asked who I voted for. I told her I probably voted for the same ones she and daddy did. She yelled, "You voted for all the top ones too!" The poll workers seemed to get a kick of it, but so much for keeping my vote private.

This was the first time that I voted for all democrats and even though I had already decided to vote for Obama, I hesitated before I pushed the button. I think it comes from growing up in such a staunch Republican family.

Anyway, I was pleased the next morning when my friend, Wendi, told me my guy had won (though maybe I shouldn't refer to him as "my" candidate when I didn't even care enough to check the outcome myself).

Other fun things from this week: Going to my first parent teacher conference for Liz. Am I really this old? Liz is doing fine, though she initially tried to boss the other kids around a lot. Her teacher also said that while Lizzie was shy at the begining of the year, she now talks too much in class.
Catching Alaina's elusive smile on film.
Seeing Liz interact with Alaina. It's so sweet to hear Lizzie try to comfort her sister--"It's okay sissy's here"--in her mom voice. I also love saying things like "the girls," "my children," "the kids," and so on. I still can't believe that I have multiple living children. It seems almost too good to be true.
Alaina's 8 week appointment (though she's actually 9 weeks now). Stats: 45% for head, 10% for height, and 40% for weight. Just like Liz was, Lainey is short and chubby. Too cute. She is also sleeping through the night fairly well--sometimes for 6 or 7 hour stretches. I'm sleeping a lot better too. It's been weeks since I have gotten up in the night to check her breathing every few minutes.
I know there is still a risk for SIDS, but at least I have calmed down. I was pretty bad the first month. Every night I would pray she would be alive the next morning, but I would still hold her until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore just in case she wasn't. When I put her down I whispered in her ear, "breathe baby, just breathe." Andrew tried to be sympathetic, but I know I drove him crazy. One day he said, "It's like Tourettes. You feel really bad that they are compelled to do and say these things, but it's still really annoying." Point taken.
Seeing Drew and Liz together. He is completely smitten with her and she can't wait to see him in the evenings. I have fond memories of daddy daughter time with my father, and I'm glad to see such a strong bond between Liz and Drew, though Liz has informed us that she likes Alaina "the best, even more than mommy and daddy."

More excitement to come: Drew's brother Dan is staying with us this weekend. We are all looking forward to visit.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

Such a fun post to read Jill! Glad to hear that you are feeling more comfortable when Lainey sleeps:) Life is so much better when you can sleep yourself:)

Julie Broadbent said...

That is a really cute picture of Alaina smiling. So sweet

Jessica said...

I love this post and I also love that you have 'kids.' Your happiness resonates in every word you write and I love that too.

Contributors