Saturday, July 10, 2010

Brighton breakfast and parade

Last Saturday morning Mike, Rob, Julie, Scott, and I went up to Brighton with our families for the annual Fourth of July pancake breakfast and makeshift parade. The Barnes family has been going to these events for as long as I can remember. It was a fun way to remember Grandpa Bud who used to treat us to the breakfast and drive us around the parade.
THE BREAKFAST
I was surprised by how packed the parking lot was. I commented that I had never seen it so packed and Julie reminded me that we usually park at the cabin and walk down to the church. No pictures because I was cold and just wanted to eat and race over to the warm cabin.
THE PARADE
Apparently the cops shut down the parade years ago because people weren't willing to go to the trouble to make it legit with registrations and whatnot. Also it was unsafe. One year a kid was seriously injured when he rode his bike in front of his family's float and was run over. Another year my grandpa ran over my cousin Tom when he fell off our homemade float (he survived). I kind of love that even though the parade is officially cancelled, people still unofficially hold it.This year we (my siblings and my cousin, Ali) were the "baby brigade" and just tied some streamers on our army of strollers. CABIN

1 comment:

DC Diva said...

Thanks for posting all these pictures Jill. Wish I could have been there, esp. for the baby brigade. So fun!

Contributors