Thursday, August 14, 2008

Surviving

Man, I'm tired, but it's the night before a doctor's appointment (sono) so I can't seem to settle down long enough to drift off. Since I'm up I figured I might as well unload.

I feel like I've been up and down a lot lately and I suppose this will continue as I get closer to the dreaded 35th and 36th weeks, and my eventual due date. Lizzie was at a playdate this afternoon and I intended to get a lot done. Instead I crawled into bed with a bag of mini Snickers and surfed the internet until it was time to pick her up.

In general though, I feel like I'm doing pretty well. I look back and can see the progress I have made since last October. I no longer feel compelled to avoid all infants (though I have no desire to hold them and still avoid them sometimes), announcements of pregnancies and births do not reduce me to tears, I can handle Relief Society, and I have made contact with friends that I feared I would never be able to interact with again (those who had babies around the time Jacob died). Still, I'm surprised by the things that continue upset me and I imagine over the years there will be times when feelings of anger or sadness are triggered when I least expect it.

I know that the death of a loved one is not something you "get over." It is something you adjust to. Sometimes I'm surprised by how much I have adjusted and sometimes I feel guilty for feeling so good instead of feeling sad. Shortly after we lost Jacob, Drew and I started going to periodic counseling sessions. I remember the therapist telling me that there would probably be times when I would feel guilty for no longer feeling bad. At the time it seemed impossible that I would ever feel good again. Now I can't believe I'm here.

I'm 34 weeks into my current pregnancy now and it just hit me last Tuesday that I am going to give birth soon and that I might actually bring a baby home. When I was pregnant with Lizzie it seemed like my world revolved around the impending birth and it's aftermath, though I really did not know what to expect. With Jacob, I thought a lot about the baby and what our lives would be like with him--the first Christmas, the differences between boys and girls, school, scouts, mission, and so on. I haven't really thought much about life with another baby this time. It just doesn't seem real.

I have hung the only baby outfit I have purchased in my closet to remind me that we will probably have a baby, but it still seems so unreal. I keep finding myself making plans without taking an infant into consideration. I was planning to buy one piece of needed/wanted baby gear each week as a show of faith and to spread out the costs and to make the whole thing more real and so on but I haven't really stuck to that plan. Maybe I'll pick up a case of diapers at Costco tomorrow. . . .

2 comments:

Ryann said...

Oh Jill. We are all waiting, hoping, praying, worrying, and obsessing with you. Probably not nearly as much as you though. I am right there with you in my heart! And when this baby comes there'll be plenty of time to get everything you need.

I'm also really happy that you have good albeit somewhat guilty days. You (and Drew) have come so far! I am really proud of you guys!

Chanda said...

Hey Jill. I can only imagine what you're feeling. I read the post you linked to about stillbirth and really appreciated the insight. I'm thinking of you and that baby girl of yours.

Contributors